Author Topic: Elkmont Campground  (Read 1327 times)

divad

• View Profile
Elkmont Campground
« on: May 22, 2016, 11:46:54 am »
Memorial Day weekend the family & I will be staying at Elkmont. Does anyone have any recommendations on a couple of streams my step-son Michael and I could fish? With in hiking distance of campground.

bradfordw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Elkmont Campground
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 09:07:22 am »
The little river right next to the campground is great brown trout water. I've had a lot of success on larger hares ears sizes 12/10 and also in Tellico Nymph's size 12/10. There's a good chance you'll be able to fool them on top if you fish it early/late, pick up some Never-sink Caddis or (my personal fav. fly in the park) a yellow-ish parachute adams. Just be sure you bring enough floatant!

Get lots of pictures and good luck!

Dukejb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 10:30:08 am »
The other creek close is Jake's creek. It flows into Little River in the campground. It's a smaller stream with smallish rainbows mostly, but can be a good option when LR is too high or crowded.

divad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 07:52:04 am »
On Monday we fished Jakes Creek. Second pool up from where we started I caught a 12"plus brown trout. What a way to start. After that it was 4"-6" rainbows.
On Wednesday I fished Lynn Camp Prong. Beautiful water. Caught specks in the 3"-7" range.

bradfordw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 10:47:49 am »
*high five* that's a heck of a way to start off! Sounds like a great time was had, congrats!

Brandon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 01:04:31 pm »
divad- Were the fireflies in peak while you were there?

divad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 04:38:16 pm »
No, the lightning bugs were not at their peak. The rangers told us they had been good after 10pm. Both evening we were there we got afternoon thunder storms and it would quit before sundown and they say the lightning bugs don't like the rain. We stayed up late and still got a small show each night. Sunday evening they were still letting cars up to the upper parking lot and that didn't help. Monday night they didn't let them drive in and that helped. That is wild walking around with no moon or light to guide you. My head lamp has a red light, I didn't want to use it more than needed.
The brown trout was a great way to start a fish'n trip, the specs were a grand finally.

Grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 06:09:18 am »
Nice, did Charlotte fish with you any?

JoelO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 05:27:32 pm »
Sorry I didn't see this earlier.  Sounds like you were coming in to Elkmont as we were leaving.  Funny, I caught a nice brown out of Jake's 2 years ago but it's been rainbows ever since.  We didn't go up there this year since it requires a little more rod handling skill than I wanted to subject my younger brother to (first fly fishing trip).  That's a nice creek to fish if you get to it before everyone else.

I usually fish a smaller hairs ear or prince nymph under a stimulator.  I'll have to give the Neversink another try...I just have more confidence in a stimulator.

divad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 05:29:09 pm »
Charlotte went tubing while we were in camp and would not give up the swimming pool at the hotel. I fished with Michael Monday on Jakes Creek and fished by myself Wed. on Lynn Camp Prong. I should of gotten Sye's number and got him to fish with me Wed.